You can just erase that question mark at the title above. There is not question about it, Kral Ferch is the greatest Montana born and bred dunker in the history of time. I am just here to tell you this, it is not debatable … or is it.

The funny thing about the questions “Who is the best Dunker” or “What was the best dunk” is that the answer to these questions, need to be put in the context of the dunk. Everyone can look at a dunk and say “boy that was a good dunk”, but to become a great dunk in my opinion, you need an emotional connection to that dunk. That is why the NBA dunk contest sucks. Sure there are a lot of great dunks, but who cares, try doing it in a game then call me.

A lot of my Griz friend’s feel the greatest dunk they ever saw was Dan Trammel’s dunk against the Bobcat’s in the 2002 Big Sky conference tourney. I just do not see it, he got the ball underneath the basket and went up for a simple two handed dunk. Good dunk yea, but great? Sorry Griz buddies that dunk does nothing for me. Now compare this to Kral Ferch’s dunk over Saint Johns 6-9 center Shelton Jones in the 1985 NCAA tourney (the first dunk in the attached video) now that is a frick’n dunk. I saw that dunk live on an 8 inch TV in Cheever Hall (Located on the MSU campus), while I was trying to complete my thesis. I knocked over a container of graphite and ruined 8 hours of work, but I did not care. It was awesome. Yea Kral Ferch is the greatest dunker in Montana history and his Shelton Jones dunk is the greatest dunk in Montana history. No bias here ;)