While Josh Huestis (CMR), Matt Smith (Capital), Corbin Pearson (Big Sandy) and Blake Brumwell (Big Sandy), are the four Montana juniors that I am hearing are the hot basketball prospects as of right now, there are a couple other guy’s who I think people should keep an eye on.


Joe Stulc (6-5 Winifred) Joe has averaged close to 25 points a game, close to double digits in rebounding, he can post up or shoot out to 3 point range, and plays multiple positions on the floor, for a team that was ranked #1 in the state for much of the season. I had one person describe him as this year’s Andy Garland. I think that might be accurate only as far as he is one of those underrated player that the D-1 coaches are afraid to take a chance on. While Stulc is in the 6-5 to 6-6 range like Garland that is were the physical comparisons end. Stulc position in college will be at the small forward, or possibly guard. He will not be able to push player around in college like does in high school. He has an outstanding perimeter shot with a high quick release. He is going to have to prove to D-1 coaches that he has the ball skills, and the ability to play defense is he is avoid the tweener label. That said I have heard from someone whose opinion I do respect that they feel he is a fits the mold of former Bobcat player Danny Sullivan and could be a real solid D-1 player if he continues to work and develop. From what I have been told though neither the Cat’s nor Griz have invested a lot of time scouting Stulc, but he is now on there radar. I believe coaches were in the house for the Northern class C tourney to watch him, and the guy’s from Big Sandy.


Jacob Owsley (6-7 Bozeman) I saw Bozeman and Owsley play earlier this year and I was pretty impressed on how much he had improved over the past year. It also helps when you go through a growth spurt that add 2+ inches to you height between your sophomore and junior year. From what I saw Owsley is not on a par with Huestis right now, but if he continues to grow and show as much improvement he has displayed recently, he could be a force his senior year. I need to point out that his older brother PJ was an un-recruited 6-6 forward out of Bozeman high his senior year. PJ as a 6-8 forward went on to play for the Bobcats as a true freshman, and ended finishing out his career as a starter for at U. of Hawaii. The Owsley boy’s seem to be late bloomers. Jacob does not get as much attention as Bozeman’s Tanner Roderick, or Gabe Rucker, but he is an intriguing prospect to keep an eye on.


Again these are a couple names of players, in my opinion, that you might want to keep an eye on as possible D-1 prospects for the class of 2010. There could also be some other flying under my radar, after all I had no idea who Colt Idol was until he committed to the Bobcat’s a few months back. Anyone I am missing, you feel should be mentioned?