This is the second part of a two part series about the April signing period. Part 1 the Bobcats, Part 2 The Grizzlies

The Grizzly M
en: I believe the Griz will sign 1 player, with the outside chance of more during the late signing period. The Griz have been rather quiet this spring in the recruiting circle, at least as far as I can tell. Clearly though, they seem very interested in signing a point guard this spring. I have heard that they were recruiting point guards at the NJCCA tourney earlier last month, and almost all recruiting buzz I have heard has been around recruiting point guards. The seem to be recruiting JC’s the hardest but also looking at the high school ranks. I have a little bit of buzz around some big men hear and there but most of that seems to be focused on high school guy’s they were recruiting last fall. Just my gut feeling, but to me it seemed more “just in case” recruiting, than actively trying to fill a spot. Here is a name to keep an eye out for “just in case” 6-8 Brandon Durham from Washington.

The Lady Griz: Robin Selvig will sign two players this spr
ing and he will get it done early. Robin always signs all of his scholarships, and he always gets it done early. There is no doubt in my mind that Selvig will sign a point guard. Robin (almost) never signs JC’s and with only two point guards on his roster (one being a senior) he is going to need to get a freshman in this year to get her seasoned enough to play major minutes the following year. In his scheme of thing he will not have the luxury of bring in a JC next year. I have heard that they have at least one commit already.

Carrie Ojeda


Carrie Ojeda could be a player that either the Griz or the Cat’s sign this spring, or maybe not. A while a go I had heard a rumour the Lady Griz had received at least one verbal commit but no name. A couple days’ later I heard from another source I the Lady Cats received a commit from a post player from the Seattle Washington area. I talked to a source in Washington and she gave me a couple names that she the Cat’s may have gotten. Those names were more of an educated guess than any thing, so continued scratching around trying to see if I can identify the Montana State player. Last week another source told me that he has heard that Carrie Ojeda a 6-0 post player from Mount Tacoma had signed with Montana State ....... or may be Montana. That was followed up by another source emailing me and telling me no it was Montana who got Ojeda. Like I said earlier I do not know if one or the other or none of them will pick up Ojeda, but I am going to be curious to see where she does land..

Ojeda is cross between the Griz Sara Ena and Bobcat Nubia Garcia. She is a very athletic and physical (almost too physical) forward who is built more like a track athlete which she is. She runs the sprints and relay in track. She averaged 20 points, 12 rebounds, and 5 blocks a game. She also shoots the ball out to three point range. At one point this season she was averaging 26 points a game but had some knee and foul problems late in the season which knocked her average down.


Also keep an eye out for Marcissa McMillan and Sara Paponjak for no other reason than those names were thrown at me, too.